1. The Program implements an interdisciplinary approach to resource stewardship that takes advantage of the similarities between DoD's natural and cultural resources programs.
Often the same person is responsible for managing both natural and cultural resources plans on an installation.
strives to take advantage of this by sharing management methodologies and techniques across natural and cultural resources initiatives.
2. The Program promotes understanding and appreciation for natural and cultural resources by encouraging greater awareness and involvement by both the Military Departments or Services, other agencies, NGOs, and the general public.
3. The Legacy Program incorporates an ecosystem approach that assists DoD in maintaining biological diversity and the sustainable use of land and water resources for mission and other uses.
4. Additionally, the Program works to achieve common goals and objectives by applying resource management initiatives in broad regional areas.
Legacy supports regionally-based projects such as the Sonoran Ecosystem Management Initiative, the Gulf Coast Plain Ecosystem Partnership, the Great Basin Initiative, the Chesapeake Bay Program, and Partners in Flight.
5. Finally, the Legacy Program pursues the identification of innovative new technologies that enable more efficient and effective management.