Public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) provide some of the most diverse outdoor recreation opportunities on Federal lands in the western United States.
The BLMs Recreation and Visitor Services Program oversees a broad and complex set of recreation related
programs, which provide a multitude of recreation opportunities and experiences.
These recreation resources and visitor services support strong local economies and public land conservation.
As BLM works to enhance recreational opportunities, we strive to remain a good neighbor and partner.
The BLM manages recreation resources and visitor services to offer the greatest benefits possible to individuals and communities and to better enable communities to achieve their own desired social, economic, and environmental outcomes.
BLM public lands once described as the lands nobody wanted are now recognized as Americas Great Outdoors, a Backyard to Backcountry treasure.
They are uniquely accessible.
More than 120 urban centers and thousands of rural towns are located within 25 miles of BLM lands.Expected Outcomes:
1. Increase and enhance access to public lands and waters.
2. Increase and enhance hunting, fishing and recreational opportunities.
3. Increase and enhance recreational shooting opportunities.
4. Improve inventory, assessment and planning on public lands and waters.
5. Improve management, administration, and monitoring of public lands and waters.
6. Provide enriched visitor services, information, interpretation and education.
7. Enhance community-supported partnerships in tourism and marketing.
8. Protect visitor health and safety.
9. Improve accessibility for persons with disabilities.1 0. Improve motorized and non-motorized trails including trail construction and maintenance, comprehensive travel and transportation inventory and assessment, planning management and monitoring.
The Recreation and Visitor Services Program provides a wide variety of recreational opportunities that benefit the public and local communities.